Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Birthdays


Every year each person has one. Some dread it, while some anticipate it with high excitement. I like to use my birthday to evaluate my life over the past year: successes, failures, goals met & unmet, achievements, etc.

As I reflect back on my 27th year and the goals I set, like most, I met some and completely forgot about others. Like the one to be at least a red belt in Tae Kwon Do getting ready to test again - who knew I would have to choose between TKD and going back to school. And school, well that's a whole other story. I never thought I would take Hebrew and live to tell the tale. And then, there are those that I was able to accomplish, like hosting a 5K race fundraiser to raise money to return to South Africa, and building relationships with certain students that had been hard to connect with.

What about the things I never anticipated? A year ago, if told I would have the opportunity to begin working with a missions agency, I would have thought, "yeah, right." A dream job, but not an option. And here I sit on the cusp of beginning a new journey with Praying Pelican Missions. I am excited by the new challenges this ministry will hold and the great things I know God has in store. To know that His Word tells me that He had this decided before I was even created. "All my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began" (Psalm 139:16).

It's a comforting thought to know that no matter what goals I have in mind for my 28th year, God knows them all - those I will achieve, those I will not, & those I have no idea about. Praise Him that He is in control and leads me down better paths than I would set for myself.

So here's to all the things unanticipated that God has in store for me this year. I can't wait to get to each and every one.


No comments:

Post a Comment